Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A delicious dilemma of sorts

***I wrote this a while back and never actually published it. So now, months and months after I wrote it (we're talking February, peeps), here it is. It isn't controversial like some other posts. Unless you look at it from a "first-world problems" perspective.***


Me: "Green apple juice is so delicious. I don't know how I ever drank anything else!"
Mr. V: "You sound like an infomercial!"
 
Sitting down to dinner last night, freshly squeezed juice in hand, I had this overwhelmingly peaceful feeling. It was this refreshing feeling that stuck with me and strangely enough, made me wish, once again, for a dishwasher with the ability to run the top or the bottom rack separate from the other.

It is a frequent topic of discussion around here, this dishwasher talk. It's usually revolving more or less around my choice of "next new appliance" which we'll get in 25 years, after we finish paying off our college loans (did I say 25? I meant 2.5. Or less. We're that on top of our finances - and proud of it!) - an oven, a refrigerator, or a dishwasher. Usually, the refrigerator wins. The one we have now was left here by the people who owned the house before we did and, not long after we moved in, we found out why. It grumbles and roars if you leave the water dispenser plugged in. And I'm not talking about some minor roar like that of a young Simba just learning to pounce. I'm talking about a full Terrible Twos Tantrum complete with fist pounding and high pitched screaming. It's terrible. So we unplugged the water dispenser and now the chief complaint about the fridge is that it crowds our food. Boo!

Around the holidays, the oven usually wins out. I'd like one with a warming tray or a double oven. That would make my cooking/baking side extremely happy. But it's not usually that big of an issue since we are a family of two and I don't typically have the time to make huge meals requiring a double oven.

Lately, though, the dishwasher, once on the bottom rung of my important appliance ladder, has risen to the top. And it's all because of my juicer. I love my new juicer and the energy I get from being healthier SO much that I am willing to sacrifice a spacious new refrigerator with French doors and a bottom freezer; I'm willing to sacrifice an oven that can make my holiday dreams come true. I want to juice EVERY day! And sometimes more than that. Mr. V doesn't like to run the dishwasher if it isn't full and I don't have time (or energy) to hand wash the entire unit every single time I want juice BUT if I had the new dishwasher, the one that allows you to wash the top rack apart from the bottom, I could juice every day and be a much happier (and healthier) camper.

Isn't it funny how your priorities can change? 

Mrs. V

No comments:

Post a Comment