Wednesday, November 2, 2011

30 Days of Thanks 2011 - Day 1

It has been a couple of years since I first posted my 30 days of Thanks in honor of Thanksgiving. I have decided (albeit a bit late tonight) to go ahead with the project once more as I have tons to be thankful for.

For those of you who read my blog, my facebook, or just my face, you know that lately things have been a bit topsy turvy at the House of V. We're recovering from back surgery. Well, Mr. V is recovery from back surgery. I'm recovering from him having surgery AND trying to recover from his recovery (to be completed, I'm sure, within days of his completed recovery - and a spa treatment or two).

After Mr. V's surgery, he slept a little, ate a lot, and then lost his lunch. Well, dinner. He had just taken his pain pills and wanted to know if he could take more. I hadn't realized just how frazzled I was until I called Mr. T so I could talk to his wife, Dr. T. Dr. T had an early shift at the hospital the next morning but I didn't know it when I called. Mr. T handed the phone to his wife and I explained the situation. She broke the news to me - he would have to wait a bit longer, just until his next appropriate dose, to take his pain pills again to avoid the risk of overdose. She then handed the phone back to Mr. T and (I hope) went right back to sleep.

Having woken her up made me really upset. I felt awful for having woken her up on a Friday night to ask her about pain pills. I got choked up. Mr. T assured me it was fine, no worries on their end, but still I couldn't pull myself together. I hung up and sobbed softly. Which Mr. V found ridiculous. As did Dr. T (though she'd NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS SAY SO BECAUSE SHE IS AMAZINGLY SWEET) when she called to check up on the patient the next day.

So on Sunday, when a new church friend, Mrs. P, asked me if she could do anything, the only thing that has been in my head was "dinners." I told her dinners would be amazing when we went back to work because a) Mr. V isn't supposed to be at work yet but he is anyway; b) I am so far behind at work due to doctors' appointments and the surgery/recovery that it isn't even funny how much I have to catch up on; and c) Mr. V and I make up a team - I cook, he cleans. But he's relieved from household chore duty until further notice and I can't catch up and cook and clean. After tomorrow, I'm out of work clothes and I have to add laundry to my list of things to do. It just keeps piling on.

And it is so incredibly hard for me to ask for help when I need it. I have a stubborn pride that keeps me from reaching out for help even though I yearn to help others.

All this to say that I am so thankful for Mr. V's surgery going so well that he's regaining the ability to walk comfortably (not normally) bit by bit. I'm incredibly thankful that I have such a great friend in Mr. T and that he married an amazing, good hearted woman who has her MD and is used to calls in the middle of the night. And I'm so in awe of the servant hearts that are coming to take care of us this week. What abundant blessings I have!

Take care!

Mrs. V

No comments:

Post a Comment